News & Announcements
- No related news entries
Faith Formation Catechesis
Purpose: Our mission is to provide education in faith as well as spiritual formation to build a foundation for youth in a way which will help them develop their understanding of the Catholic Faith. Our intention is also to encourage parents to be involved in the faith formation process as the primary catechists of their children.
Activities: Religious education classes for youth; Sacramental Preparation for Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist; Sunday School for pre-school through Kindergarten; special events; Whole Community programs (home study with monthly family style retreats).
Where: St. Jude’s
When: October through May: Sunday morning for pre-school and Whole Community, Tuesday evening for 6th grade, Wednesday afternoon for 1st through 5th grade.
Time commitment: Dependent on the level of involvement. We need help with everything from teaching to baking, creating bulletin boards to song leaders. We can use your help in many ways and for whatever time commitment you have to offer.
Monthly: Whole Community Family Program (preschool – 8)
Meets 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. one Sunday a month
• Parents are responsible as the catechists using text books for home study
• Monthly retreats include large group family time and breakout sessions with a catechist
• Adult Faith Formation included during breakout sessions
• Students in First and Second year Sacramental Preparation have additional requirements
Weekly Religious Education classroom based program (preschool – 6)
Grades 1-6 meet weekly with a catechist.
• Parent involvement is required. A calendar will be given at the opening session giving the dates of the parent/child meetings which are all held during class time:
Grades 1-5: Wed. 4-5:15 p.m.
Grades 6: Tues. 7:00-8:00 p.m.
• Students in their first and second year of Sacramental preparation have additional requirements.
Classes are held on Sundays while the parents attend the 10 a.m. Mass
• Children learn about God, Creation and Jesus in a fun age appropriate setting.
• Class size is limited.
• Preschool is available for 3, 4 and 5 year-olds in a combined group setting with a team of catechists.
Older Sacramental Preparation: If your child has not been baptized, or is in fourth grade or higher and has not received the Eucharist, you must contact the faith formation office prior to registration (818)889-0612
Grades 7 and 8: Junior High Ministry - contact Denise Cortes with questions (818)889-2541
• Meet on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.